SA Car Damaged at Car Park - Who is Liable?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Leighton.jo7

13 September 2016
Hi.

I recently went to my local shopping centre who are undergoing renovations and construction works. Of interest in my case is the works they are doing to the car park.

A usual entrance has been modified for temporary access around the works. Bollards, fencing and the like are in place to direct traffic through the usual entrance. I entered and there was a make shift bitumen ramp/speed bump which was poorly constructed and was steep, which scrapped the under carriage of my car and exhaust system.

Just after that, there was a large section of the bitumen in the car park that was cut up and slightly dug out. Probably about three inches deep, I think. It was right in the path the cars were directed to travel. My left wheels dropped into this and scraped the rims of my car quite badly. I had no choice where to go with fencing and bollards quite right either side directing me.

I feel the entrance was not in a fit state to allow cars through. Nor reasonable measures taken to allow cars to go through safely. There are other entrances and I feel this one should have been closed if it was going to be in the state of disrepair that it was.

I was wondering if the centre management or construction company has a legal liability when it comes to the damage caused to my car?

Thanks in advance.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Are you insured?

DMQC

29 June 2016
You would direct any claim to the Centre Management and based on your brief outline above. I believe you may have a legitimate claim for the repair to your vehicle.

Regards