Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

SA Car Damaged at Car Park - Who is Liable?

Discussion in 'Insurance Law Forum' started by Leighton.jo7, 13 September 2016.

1. Leighton.jo7

Leighton.jo7 Member

Hi.

I recently went to my local shopping centre who are undergoing renovations and construction works. Of interest in my case is the works they are doing to the car park.

A usual entrance has been modified for temporary access around the works. Bollards, fencing and the like are in place to direct traffic through the usual entrance. I entered and there was a make shift bitumen ramp/speed bump which was poorly constructed and was steep, which scrapped the under carriage of my car and exhaust system.

Just after that, there was a large section of the bitumen in the car park that was cut up and slightly dug out. Probably about three inches deep, I think. It was right in the path the cars were directed to travel. My left wheels dropped into this and scraped the rims of my car quite badly. I had no choice where to go with fencing and bollards quite right either side directing me.

I feel the entrance was not in a fit state to allow cars through. Nor reasonable measures taken to allow cars to go through safely. There are other entrances and I feel this one should have been closed if it was going to be in the state of disrepair that it was.

I was wondering if the centre management or construction company has a legal liability when it comes to the damage caused to my car?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Are you insured?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Leighton.jo7

Leighton.jo7 Member

Yes we are Tim.

4. Homer jay

Homer jay Well-Known Member

Put in a claim and let your insurance company deal with it.

Tim W likes this.
  5. DMQC

DMQC Well-Known Member

You would direct any claim to the Centre Management and based on your brief outline above. I believe you may have a legitimate claim for the repair to your vehicle.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...