QLD Car Accident - U-Turn Without Stopping - Who was at Fault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

fairmont

26 February 2015
I was following a car which swerved left following the kerb for about 80m then without stopping did a U-turn in front of me. I cannot prove that he never used indicators. When he pulled out in front of me I hit the side of car and had a car accident. It was over a broken centre line and there wasn't a fog line.

The TORUMS says that you must:
-have a clear view of approaching traffic. (not relevant in this case)
-do so without obstructing the free movement of traffic.
-give way to all vehicles and pedestrians.

Who was at fault (in the wrong)? I cannot get a clear answer either way.

Amanda E

9 April 2014
If you were following, you should have allowed enough space so that you could break and avoid the accident. However, if the other driver also didn't obey the road rules, then it could be argued that they contributed. So both of you might be partially at fault. This is something that your and their car insurance company would investigate and consider.

fairmont

26 February 2015
Thank you Amanda E, There were no witnesses or camera so the real events are not relevant. Can you tell me where I will find this ruling as It is not under u-turns in the torums?

fairmont

26 February 2015
Thank you Amanda E, There were no witnesses or camera so the real events are not relevant. Can you tell me where I will find this ruling as It is not under u-turns in the torums?
Thanks for your input. The ctp accepted full responsibility and I probably will not push the property damage as it is not much $.