QLD Car Accident - Left Scene Because People Chasing Me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cody

16 March 2015
I had a car accident and then reversed off corner to drive to safer position no steering so car ended up in a worse position got out of car and had people chasing me with abuse so I just ran and reported incident to police next day. Police confiscated my phone and I haven't heard anything since just wondering what charges I'll get and when I'll have my phone?

S

Sophea

If you leave the scene of an accident, the police can charge you with the following offences:
  • failing to stop after an accident
  • failing to render assistance
  • failing to exchange names and addresses; or
  • failing to report an accident to a police station if no other person is present at the accident.
If you caused an accident and fled the scene, and someone was seriously hurt or died you may be charged with an indictable offence which is serious and could result in a jail term.

You will have to go to court either way to face the charges. The judge may however show some leniency if you explain the events and the fact that you were chased and were fearful for your own safety.

don't know about the phone though.

Cody

16 March 2015
It was a parked car with no one in it and no one was injured. The police then tried to trick my words to say I was speeding and if I was drinking

S

Sophea

I appreciate that you fled the scene because you were chased but from the Police's perspective, people generally flee the scene of an accident because they don't want to be breath tested etc. Therefore, calmly and politely reiterate your recollection of events and provide whatever proof you can of your version of the facts.