VIC can you retract?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dave_J

4 November 2021
If a matter has settled in principle via court, but the documentation is not finliased, can you pull out and if you do - what are the potential repercussions for the party "withdrawing"

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Costs order against the person withdrawing.

If settled in principle, then draw up a deed of settlement. We can help if you do not have a lawyer.

Reactions: dave_J

dave_J

4 November 2021
so the status is that orders were made, but time frames have passed for actions for OP to be undertaken. What next? Does the court actually have any recourse to enforce property matters?? if so - how is it done...frogmarch the OP to the bank? lol doubt it....at a loss here.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Do you have a lawyer? If so, they are the ones who should be advising you.

The details of what was agreed will likely determine the course of action available to the aggrieved party.

dave_J

4 November 2021
i dont have a lawyer. example x number of days from the orders to do certain things e.g. close accounts refinance joint assets etc.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Is there a court order saying ' ..liberty to apply...'?

dave_J

4 November 2021
Is there a court order saying ' ..liberty to apply...'?
Yes mate there is - to the court giving not less than x days notice in writing to OP...for further orders...however....can i just ask - would the court honestly take a dim view of not "spoon feeding" the OP with a regurgitation of the orders in terms of what they have already been told to do, have agreed to do and quite simply..... haven't done? I don't understand why it is always the job of the one decent party to remind the other to no avail. Suppose that would make me as bad as them "not following" the orders...but they have a legal team who for the most part choose not to respond to save costs for her

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
.. then you have the right to take the matter back into court for non-compliance. If you had lawyers you could make an argument your costs should be paid by the other side who are behaving unreasonably.

Yep, decent parties are often left out of pocket due to the actions of unreasonable people. Sometimes, but only sometimes, do the unreasonable get called to account.