WA Can I Travel Overseas with Criminal Record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jeff123

3 October 2014
Hello, I'm from New Zealand but I live since 15 years in Australia. My girlfriend is from France and we want to go there next year April. But I have got a bad criminal record in Australia and I'm afraid that they won't let me in to Australia when I come back from France? Is that possible? Are they allowed to not let me in again because of my bad record here? What can I do or who can I ask?

Thank you

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Jeff,

What bad records do you have? If they are visa infringements, then that will certainly be a possibility. According to the Australian High Commission in New Zealand, if you have a criminal record, no matter how long ago these convictions were, you will need to obtain written confirmation from DIBP (Department of Immigration and Border Protection) before you travel to Australia:

"
Convictions in New Zealand
Please download the Consent to Disclosure of Information (NZ Police) Form. This will allow the New Zealand police to provide the Australian Consulate-General with details of your criminal history. Complete the form and post it to:

Australian Consulate-General
Level 7
Pricewaterhouse Coopers Tower
186-194 Quay Street
Auckland 1010

Or email it to [email protected]

You will be informed in writing whether or not you are required to lodge an application for a visa to enter Australia prior to travel. This process takes approximately three weeks from the date the completed form is received by the Consulate.

Convictions in any other country
If you have convictions in any other country, including Australia, you are required to provide a police clearance from that country to DIAC. You will then be informed in writing whether or not you need to lodge an application for a visa to enter Australia.
Please visit this website for instructions on obtaining the appropriate police clearance: www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/"

Jeff123

3 October 2014
Thank you very much for the quick answer that helps me a lot.

I've been two times in jail here in Australia. Is there not any different when I live in Australia?

So I have to apply for a new visa from Australia to get in there again if I would leave?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
It depends on what visa you are currently on to stay in Australia. If it is multi-entry, then perhaps you do not need to re-apply for a visa. However, do check with DFAT (department I posted above) because convictions may invalidate or void your visa and therefore, you may need to re-apply. I am unfamiliar with this area of law so best to ask straight from the source.