SA Can I Get Psychological Assessment Done on My Children?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

brenton evers

4 December 2014
Hi. Can I request that a psychological assessment be made on my kids by an independent assessor to use in court to assist with my request that interim orders (family court orders) be spent with me? This would be to prevent my ex having the chance to brainwash the children for full assessments ordered by the courts.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You should definitely not order a psychological assessment without the other parent's consent because that is a medical issue for which you both have parental responsibility, and the courts do not favour unilateral decisions made by one parent to the exclusion of the other, especially when it comes to psychology potentially exploited to advance a case.

What you *can* do is seek the completion of a family report privately. Courts will ordinarily order this during procedures anyway, but if you have it completed privately, you will need to pay the cost.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
As a matter of interest, if a family report is already ordered, please know that the people conducting it are professionals and are acutely aware of behaviours symptomatic of parental alienation or coaching.

brenton evers

4 December 2014
Thanks heaps your advice is priceless as this whole procedure is both stressfull and trying on both me and my kids ! Im awaiting my legal aid aproved and until then i cant see my lawyer to clarify my thoughts so thanks it helps me understand potentualy some aspects that im not clear on

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You might consider looking into local Community Legal Centres. Many provide legal advice free of charge.