VIC Can I Apply for 485 Visa?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Haseeb

3 September 2016
Hello everyone,

I am on a package offer of Advanced Diploma leading to Bachelor of engineering. The advanced diploma is by TAFE, electrical and is 2 years full time. Can I apply for TR (subclass 485 visa) as I have completed this Advanced diploma but not the bachelor degree. The nominated skill is present on SOL. It has been less then 6 months since I completed it.

Regards,

S

Sophea

Hi Haseeb,

the TR 485 visa allows international students who have graduated from an Australian educational institution (which would include TAFE) stay in Australia temporarily to work or study after you have finished your studies.

You must be under 50, in Australia, hold an eligible visa (i.e. a student visa or a have held a student visa and now have a bridging visa), meet the study requirement have english language and have recently graduated with with an eligible qualification or with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the SOL.

I trust you are under 50, in Australia, hold an eligible visa and speak english well. The course you did was through TAFE which is an eligible Australian education institution and the course was 2 years which is the minimum required and you also appear to satisfy with < 6 month and SOL requirements.

How long is the next part of your studies? Are you applying for the Graduate Work stream which is for those with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the SOL.

A visa in this stream is only granted for 18 months from the date of grant. I believe the other Post Study stream requires graduation with a bachelor degree or higher.

cherry 87

8 March 2017
Hi,

I have been here in Australia for 3 years. I was enroled in an advanced master degree which should be complete in 2 years but I failed in 1 unit so now I got a master degree which takes only 1.5 years to complete. Even if I complete it in 3 years, I want to know about my eligibilty for a 485 visa.