VIC Can Calderbank Offer be Enforced?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Worried and confused

27 June 2018
An offer based on Calderbank was received today. The respondent husband has not disclosed full financials yet (after repeated requests from my solicitor to do so). The offers of property settlement and child access are totally unreasonable. Can Calderbank be enforced when I don't have enough information to fully assess the offer made?

Cairns123

16 January 2018
No opinion other than ‘snap’ I think I have the same ex! I had exactly the same issues you mention.
I have applied for disclosure for 18 months and been refused. Be interesting at trail how that all goes, despite repeated orders.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
What do you mean enforced? It’s an offer.

If you accept it, consent orders will likely be drawn up - those are enforceable

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Generally - no. And in your case without full and frank disclosure it is not unreasonable to refuse such an offer. Suspect this is a bluff by the other side. I note my personal tolerance for risk is higher than many peoples, and I don't have all the facts of your situation.

I can't say with certainty, but in Family Law I believe Calderbank offers have a higher threshold to overcome compared to civil cases before they will be considered. IE, one party needs to be abusing the court system before a court will consider a costs order against one party.

You should be obtaining advice from your solicitor as they have all the facts.

Worried and confused

27 June 2018
What do you mean enforced? It’s an offer.

If you accept it, consent orders will likely be drawn up - those are enforceable
The letter from the other side saying that if I don't accept their current offer within 7 days, they will rely on Calderbank and make application for costs. I am so confused because, from what I've read, the offer should be made when all financial documents have been "put on the table". I don't have any details of bank accounts (active during the marriage), Superannuation, Family Trust ( which I know exists), tax returns. In fact, the former husband is claiming debts.

Cairns123

16 January 2018
In my opinion, if you can provide evidence that suppports your claim they’ve not disclosed in full then regardless of an application, you don’t anything to worry about. It’s my understanding that disclosure is a base line requirement and I can’t see how any court can rule against you If you are able to prove that you didn’t not have all the necesssry information to make an informed decision.

Reactions: MartyK and Rod

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Stand firm and don't succumb to the pressure they are attempting to exert on you. If it was me I'd be writing and saying until I receive a full and frank disclosure there will be no agreement and I'll be proceeding to trial on the basis that you (other party) have not provided a full and frank disclosure and request my orders be implemented as is (eg 90/10 of known assets in my favour as there is likely to be significant extra assets hidden away by the other party).

Reactions: SamanthaJay

Worried and confused

27 June 2018
In my opinion, if you can provide evidence that suppports your claim they’ve not disclosed in full then regardless of an application, you don’t anything to worry about. It’s my understanding that disclosure is a base line requirement and I can’t see how any court can rule against you If you are able to prove that you didn’t not have all the necesssry information to make an informed decision.
Thank you so much!

Worried and confused

27 June 2018
Stand firm and don't succumb to the pressure they are attempting to exert on you. If it was me I'd be writing and saying until I receive a full and frank disclosure there will be no agreement and I'll be proceeding to trial on the basis that you (other party) have not provided a full and frank disclosure and request my orders be implemented as is (eg 90/10 of known assets in my favour as there is likely to be significant extra assets hidden away by the other party).
Thank you Rod. Very kind that you took the time to respond.

Kiwigirl

29 June 2017
The letter from the other side saying that if I don't accept their current offer within 7 days, they will rely on Calderbank and make application for costs. I am so confused because, from what I've read, the offer should be made when all financial documents have been "put on the table". I don't have any details of bank accounts (active during the marriage), Superannuation, Family Trust ( which I know exists), tax returns. In fact, the former husband is claiming debts.

Hi I have a similar Case a property settlement of which I am now self representing.. the OP made a very high offer with Calderbank looming... the ex has not disclosed Family Trust Deed, until recently but the Deed was not signed nor Dated.. and seemed to just have Instructions on it Rather than what I Requested which is Basically the Deed showing all Financial Transactions and any Amendments... maybe I Described what I’m after incorrectly and there’s a Name of the Part of the Trust I’m after than just Instructions? Thanks hope someone can help