Camera House Competition Prize Not Received

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jason Kidd

20 June 2014
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right section, so I apologise if it isn't.

About a month, almost two months ago, I won an online photography competition through Camera House. The prize for such competitions was a camera worth a couple of hundred dollars (or there abouts). I ended up receiving in the mail a $20 print voucher, but no camera.

I emailed the person that had initially emailed me to get postal details, and they apologised, and said they would resend it.

I received another $20 print voucher, but still no camera.

Since then, I have sent another two emails, two messages via the Camera House facebook page, and posted on their facebook wall, but no one is responding to me. My messages and emails are basically saying that I haven't received the prize as promised, and could someone confirm that it actually coming.

I am wondering what my rights are in this case under Australian Consumer Law?

Is there a body/ombudsman/department that I should report to?

Many thanks

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Jason,
Do you have a copy/link to the competition's T&Cs?
The competition's T&Cs generally include contact information for the business (e.g. Camera House) and/or a state/territory government trade promotion permit number/s that can be used to contact the appropriate state/territory government department (e.g. in NSW, this is the NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing) to confirm the authorised contact at Camera House for the competition.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Jason,
Any luck getting your prize?

DennisD

11 July 2014
Hi Jason

Have you received the camera?

As John R recommends you can review the competition T&Cs if you have a copy. If so, look for any delivery periods for the prize. If the T&Cs are silent on this, probably it is a reasonable time for delivery of the prize (which would be satisfied by now)

The trade promotion is likely to be classified as a 'game of skill' under regulations which vary state to state, and due to that classification may not require a permit, nor have a trade promotion permit number. However you still might (might not) find it useful to call your state gambling/liquor regulator as this is the body responsible to regulate 'games of chance' which is the other category of games under the regulations (at least that is so in NSW)

Reactions: John R