NSW Call from CSA

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AlexL81

20 November 2020
Hi,

I got a call from CSA today. The lady started to ask for my personal information and refused to tell me what is the call about. I wasn't comfortable giving my private information to a stranger calling my number as I could not say for sure she was indeed from CSA. I asked her to either send me a letter or send a message via MyGov site with the details of what she wanted to discuss. She refused to do so. She said she will send me call them by X of December.

Do I really have to call them if they refuse to give details of what they want to talk about? Can I ignore this letter?

Thanks.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Call CSA yourself & tell them someone called claiming to work for them.. They will confirm if it's legit or not

Rosscoe

21 October 2020
This does not sound legitimate. I believe you would need to be notified in writing. (as a side note, try and verify the number and see if it is a scam) Have a look at the following:

Information exchange​

10.29 Child support legislation requires that the CSA disclose information about one party to the other party at certain stages of a child support case. A key point at which the CSA is required to exchange personal information is when making a child support assessment. Pursuant to s 76 of the Child Support (Assessment) Act, the CSA must give both parties written notice of the assessment, and must specify matters such as income, the number and age range of any dependent children, and the number and age ranges of any other children for whom a party pays or receives child support.[30]

10.30 In addition to this legislatively required content, child support assessment notices include ‘all the information input to the assessment as well as an explanation of the formula used for calculation’.[31] The assessment notices also include parties’ names, as discussed below. An example assessment notice is available on the CSA website.[32]

AlexL81

20 November 2020
Well, the number was private. Assuming it was CSA, do they have the right to demand me to call them? My concern is: they may be fishing. When my divorce started and my ex wife and children were living under the same roof with me and I was financially supporting all of them 100% as my ex did not work, they managed to come up with child support based on incorrect answers I have them over the phone. They asked something like: is that correct that your wife care for the kids is 80%? Obviously when I was at work she was with the kids most of the time, but child support is calculated based on the number of nights children spend with me which was 100% of nights. So my ex wife would get some pocket money and I would still have to support my kids 100%. Can I ignore their demand to call them unless they give it to me in writing what matters they want to discuss?

Rosscoe

21 October 2020
I would say there is no harm in phoning them to 1. determine if this is legitimate, and 2. If it is, then ask them to provide what they need in writing.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
CSA can and do call unannounced. They can tend to be quite difficult to deal with at the best of times. You don't generally have to call them back, but you do run the risk that they'll just make a decision without your input on whatever issue they want to talk to you about. Refusing to 'co-operate' until they 'put it in writing' doesn't usually wash.

sammy01

27 September 2015
call CSA - get clarity and then if need be appeal. But you only have 28 days to do so.