NSW Buying a used car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
12 May 2023
I bought a second hand car from private seller . Whom advertised on Facebook Market place . Everything was sound mechanical engineering and electronics. Service logs etc seller was
not owner but act on behalf of owner . He also was present when purchasing car he's name as owner etc on rego and notice of disposal . He also agreed to a hand written letter of sale for the amount etc and that the car was his and the add which all details set out were good . Also in the hand written letter by myself specified that if there is Any mechanical engineering problems failure and electronics failure that occur for myself upon purchasing and in a 30 day time frame from the date of purchase being notice of disposal by the person's name (seller) knowledge of both names myself and there's agrees dated signed that is aware of these conditions of agreement that buyer is only buying car under the sellers understanding and agrees to paying for any Mechanical engineering or electronics failure, failures replacement of any and all parts out of pocket expenses including vehicle tow , mechanical or electrical expenses obtained because of issues, professional reports for . Be also paid by the seller from dates to a date (30dys). Agrees to except and agrees to pay for as the seller . (Note the buyer names of both ppl Signed) . To all expenses if these issues arise with in 30 days. Signed and dated agrees . Than 2 hours after the car has been purchased it brakes Completely down!!! . The engine has major issue (new motor) .And electronics sensors appeared as all worked test driven nothing . Major engine problem indicates . Car appears from all documents oil etc As looked after All sound clean . 2011 Audi services 2 owners low KMs all the bells n whistles. .Tow truck involved taken to a professional and report on issue the cars issue was significantly alarming for quite some time at best to a pink slip inspection. But also could be masked by someone to hide it and even apparently have it reprogrammed by someone with the such this test reprogrammed device fraudulently . For a luck sale test drive.An gets through a test drive potential buyer And not aware of anything Delays sensor the major mechanical warning . Also being passed for Pink slip prior 3 months no issue never the less Audi dealer ship. 9 months prior done service and all services but not for the last one . It was done away from Audi . The Audi service 9 months prior was a $3500 reciept of new tyres wheel alignment,oil filter ,new brakes ,battery and warranty only for that left for 4 months remaining . The person that had it advertised is speaking for the seller and will not remove himself from any correspondence with the past owner . Refuses to . Speaks on behalf of the prior seller will not honour' the written signed Document . Or take the car and refund the amount . He was informed of the major mechanical breakdown 2 hours after sale .I want to know if made clear in the my Hand written reciept and statement of terms in such that he has to and take responsibility for any Mechanical engineering or electrical expenses. Because he agreed to for 30 days . That was the condition of being satisfied to purchase it . Is He bound Legally for all expenses. I know to a degree of that The written document is Legal. And signed by both . It is also The hard copy original Only Document that I done for myself as buying it He is aware and He didn't provide as I did . I use such ,written or provide a receipt book if purchasing anything that is used from ppl . As proof . I also do this when I've sold to public privately given a reciept . I was always told to always ask for reciept paper documentation. Or and always when buying from public provide a reciept to have written out by the other parties. And a letter document typed hand written . By myself for proof were the amount of money is more than $1000 and has or comes with government papers and anything to do with my id. Date of birth etc . Feel free to answer anything about my questions .