Buyers want refund for car bought via Gumtree

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gfranco

18 October 2020
Hi! I hope you guys can help me with this!
I had sold a 2006 Jaguar on Gumtree, private sale.
The man came here, look, drove the car and told me he liked the price. He agreed with everything I said about the car (I had asked that for him)
I gave him up to +30 photos of hold car. He inspected and liked it.
Hours after, he complains about the gearbox being bad and he wants his money back.
I’m not a mechanic, for me the car was driving good for a 14 year old car with almost 187K Kms in the odometer, I was able to use all gears and the car never let me down.
He threatened me about making a complain that will make my visa (Student) unable to be renewed (I doubt about that), he said he knows people in immigration and blah blah blah.
I’m not able to return his money because I bought a motorbike hours after selling the car for him. As a private seller, I think I don’t need to give his money back since he was not forced to buy the car.
I don’t know too much about the law here in Australia and I really need some help.

Thanks!

Wobby77

17 November 2016
its buyer beware. you do not have to refund the money. He could take you to court, but he would have to prove that you knew the gear box was like it is. he can threaten all he wants, you can then take that to police and they can charge him if he continues to intimate threaten and harass you, especially if it is via messagesing or the telephone. Good luck :)