Building Report for New House - Who is Responsible?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sara

21 April 2014
When you buy a house, if building inspection report say some work (i mean some fixings like put garage motor, shower seal, roof gutter cleaning, etc) before signing a contract, is it seller responsibility to fix that all before selling or not?Because my real estate agent is saying buy it as is if seller doesn't get agree to repair. She says that it is seller choice to repair or sell as it is. The property is under contract in my name.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Sara,
Getting an independent property inspection report, particularly where there is known issues with the property, is strongly recommended.
If you obtain an independent property report, you may also be in a position to negotiate down the price of the property (assuming that there is costs associated with repairing issues, etc.).
NSW Office of Fair Trading and Consumer Affairs Victoria both have good articles on when/why you should get an independent property inspection. All the best with your new purchase!

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
What do you mean by "My real estate agent" ?

A friend of mine recently had the removal of a spa a condition of sale to comply with pool/spa fencing laws.
If you have signed the contract without conditions that's it.

Sara

21 April 2014
This is happening with my friend. The doughy agent make her sign contract for the property @12am night.She was sleeping & the agent rang her @ 11 45pm that she is coming at her place.and said that if my friend want to buy this property she has time to think & signing this cotract just now; otherwise next day she'll sell to somebody else.so my friend like the property and get pressured not to loose that property, so she signed without negotiation(because agent said that owner is not ready to low or negotiate with price) and next day agent said that she has arranged property inspector to come & provide the report on her behalf. When my friend was asking agent for price negotiation she said don't try to negotiate because owner is getting angry and don't mention any repairs like garage motor or shed repair etc in contract otherwise owner will increase house price more.
Now my friend is too much worried.