Brother Charged with Assault - First Offence

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lex

29 June 2014
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some answers that I am struggling to find via a Google Search.

My brother is 18 years old and he beat someone up at a pub last night. It is his first offence and I assume the courts will charge him with assault. I'm just wondering what kind of charge he will be facing? I'm really worried, will it just be a fine? Or is there a possibility of him getting a good behaviour bond?

He is in lock up at the moment and the police won't let my mum or any family see him or speak with him. He was only allowed a 3 minute phone call last night.

He is going to court tomorrow morning.

thanks.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi lex,
  1. Which state/territory is your brother located in?
  2. Your brother may face one or more charges depending on the circumstances of the incident. For example, assault is a common charge but if the victim has suffered more serious injuries, more serious charges may apply - e.g. bodily harm, grievous bodily harm, etc.
  3. Does he/your family have the means to pay for a criminal defence lawyer? If yes, he/your family should attempt to engage one at your earliest opportunity. If not, your brother will likely need to rely on the availability of a legal aid/duty lawyer at his court hearing tomorrow.

lex

29 June 2014
we're in WA... not sure on how seriously he harmed the other person...

i will have to speak with my mum about whether we can afford to get him a lawyer

thank you