NSW Bringing Newborn Baby to Family Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Philly2020

27 April 2018
There is a conciliation conference to take place this week and one of the parties has a 2 week old newborn baby. She has not arranged care for the baby. She has known of this date for approx 4 months which was sufficient time to arrange care, knowing it was after the babies due date. It is likely the mother will be using the newborn as a further excuse to prolong the CC and property settlement. It has already been rescheduled twice before.

Would the magistrate of the family court be likely to allow her to bring the baby, or would it be sufficient grounds to have the matter adjourned yet again?

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
I would hope the magistrate allows the matter to be adjourned.

It would be absurd to expect a conciliation conference to occur 2 weeks after someone has given birth. My partner was breastfeeding my kids every 1-2 hours at 2 weeks of age...

Philly2020

27 April 2018
The matter has been adjourned due to the mothers actions twice previously. The mother was given the date 4 months prior and did not object earlier, even though she was fully ware of her babies due date and the likelihood of having a newborn.

Is the other party expected to just continue to have the matter adjourned and no resolution due to the mothers actions?

Lennon

11 September 2014
She can have a baby with her at a conciliation conference if she wants to. It may be a bit disruptive but so would an adjournment.

Reactions: Philly2020

Migz

20 November 2016
Beth what ended up happening as there is a possibility I may be in the same situation come March as the ex looks quite pregnant...this has dragged on long enough as well.

Philly2020

27 April 2018
Beth what ended up happening as there is a possibility I may be in the same situation come March as the ex looks quite pregnant...this has dragged on long enough as well.

I'd prefer not to post publicly, feel free to message me and I will explain further.