NT Breath testing at work

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Someone

2 September 2017
I turned up at work this afternoon and took a breath test, which is compulsory for every staff member st the start of each shift.

The first machine I used returned a reading of .066, which I was sure had to be an error because I had no reason to believe that there was any alcohol in my system at the time, let alone that much.

A few minutes later I used a second machine which returned a reading of .079 and .074 twenty minutes later.

An hour later I tested at .05, and half an hour later at .035.

I'm totally confused by all of this, not least because I was not aware that I'd consumed any alcohol at all.

I would like to keep my job, and am wondering if I have an option to challenge the readings. A doctor I spoke with said that it's not possible for a true bac reading to fall .04 in an hour and a half, and at an average rate would have decreased only by 0.225 and a maximum of .03

In addition, I'm confused that the two machines returned such different readings. Because the second machine returned a much higher reading I believe that they can't prove that I drove to work intoxicated.

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can challenge it but need your own expert opinion. You can also find out if the analysers have been calibrated by a responsible/certified testing authority within the required timeframe.

Someone

2 September 2017
You can challenge it but need your own expert opinion. You can also find out if the analysers have been calibrated by a responsible/certified testing authority within the required timeframe.
Who's opinion should I seek, do you think? Would it be a lawyer, or medical professional?

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Lawyers are not qualified to give expert evidence on blood alcohol levels.