VIC Breach of Intervention Order - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kylie1978

29 September 2016
Hi.

I currently have an Intervention Order on someone. She has breached it 3 times in 4 days. I did message her first, though, to try and sort it like adults but she is unable to do this.

She replied though and went to my son's work where she isn't allowed. Should I go to police or will I be in trouble for contacting her? She does not have an IVO on me.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Depends on the conditions of the IVO. If it's a no contact order, then the police probably would have grounds to charge her, but less so if it's just a good behaviour order or if contact was related to parenting.

Don't be stupid, though. You sought an IVO and you got one, so what are you doing baiting the respondent? I would say such behaviour - contacting her and then reporting it to the police - is not going to help you sort out anything like adults, and is really quite frankly giving her grounds to get an IVO against you, too.

Kylie1978

29 September 2016
She created fake online profiles and went to my son's work. I know I should not have messaged her first but I wantedto be an adult. She isn't allowed to contact me or be within 400mtrs of where my kid works.

She went through the drive through. She is a child and thinks it's a joke. She even moved closer to me.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You don't seem to be taking it too seriously, either. Stop contacting her. Simple.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yep - hang on a minute. You go to the cops and say you're being abused / harassed...Then you contact her? That isn't behaving like an adult. This person had to go to court because you wanted no contact. Then you contact them.

You are better off to ignore her. If, however, you feel threatened, then contact the cops.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Don't be stupid, though. You sought an IVO and you got one, so what are you doing baiting the respondent? I would say such behaviour - contacting her and then reporting it to the police - is not going to help you sort out anything like adults, and is really quite frankly giving her grounds to get an IVO against you, too.

Yep - hang on a minute. You go to the cops and say you're being abused / harassed...Then you contact her? That isn't behaving like an adult. This person had to go to court because you wanted no contact. Then you contact them.

You are better off to ignore her. If, however, you feel threatened, then contact the cops.

It could actually also be grounds for contempt too. Be very careful.