Charged with breach of intervention order

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dean22

3 July 2018
Hi,

I have been charged with 1 single charge of breaching IVO against ex partner which she obtained on false grounds basically to have upper hand in family court.

I am contesting the IVO as well as the charge in magistrates court as she is deliberately trying to bait me etc to get me charged.

I understand it’s hard to get off an intervention order and it’s easier to contest in family court and so on..

I was just after advice on the expected outcome. I called her on the day it was served as I was not aware I could not call her, the call was not violent in nature and she stated this in her police statement. What can I expect at the contest mention? Is it likely contesting the charge is futile?

Thanks for advice

sammy01

27 September 2015
Speak to a solicitor... Look one thing to ask a solicitor is about the merits of pleading guilty... The I didn't know defence ain't gonna float. So yes you're honour, I called her... No your honour I was not abusive.

You'll get a warning and you need to heed that warning... If the ex is intent on seeing you go to jail via this avo then you're gonna need to be very careful.
And posting in the family law section is a good idea.