VIC Bought Sick Kitten from Gumtree - How to Get Money Back?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Heli

3 December 2016
Hi,

We just bought a kitten from a private seller on Gumtree on Friday 2nd Dec at 9 pm. Saturday morning we noticed the kitten is not alright and we took her to the clinic. We were told that it is not 8 weeks and not at all at good condifion.

We contacted the seller, but she is not answering. As it was our first time to buy a pet and we had no experience, we couldn't recognize all by ourselves and now we need help.

Please let us know how we can get our money ($150) back under Australian Consumer Law, besides the clinic cost?

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Is the kitten microchipped? In Victoria, if you are selling a dog, cat, puppy or kitten, you are required to include the microchip number in the ad and for the animal to be microchipped. If it wasn't, I'd also contact local Council and report these backyard breeders.

Next time you decide to take a pet into your home, I'd be adopting from an animal shelter where the animals are vet checked. They will also give you advice on caring for your new pet. The fee to adopt the animal will include desexing, microchipping and vaccinations.

Heli

3 December 2016
Hi Samantha,

No the kitten was not microchipped, she was so sick and we had to surrender her to euthanasia. It was the most heartbreaking moment of our lives. Unfortunately, our first try for having a pet did not go the way that we expected. We would like to bring more joy to our life, but it ended in a huge grief and sadness.

Honestly I did not know the best way is to adopt from shelter until I went there for my little kitty, for the next time, I will definitely get one from there.

I am trying to stop this person from making money from poor animals, I already reported her to RSPCA. I hope I can get a result at the end.

Cheers

Reactions: SamanthaJay