SA Bought Item Off Gumtree - Seller Didn't Send

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dcv

26 July 2015
I paid for item off gumtree and seller did not send and is now uncontactable. i have proof of purchase. All of his contact details and proof from Australia Post that he did not send items that i paid for. He will reply to other people if they enquire about items he is selling but will not speak or reply to me.

Is there anything I can do?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

Do you know his full name and where he lives?
Also, how did you pay? Via bank transfer, credit card or Paypal?

dcv

26 July 2015
i paid via bank teansfer. i have his first and last name. his facebook. i dont know his address but as he is selling multiple items i could get a friend to get it easily. i know where he works. he is in Sydney surrey hills as far as i know

Ivy

10 February 2015
Okay great.

If he has taken your money and not sent you the item, then that is fraud.
It's up to you whether you take this straight to the police or you start with a letter of demand (send to his workplace if you don't know where he lives) and try to get your money back or the item sent that way.
How much money has this person taken from you? If it were me and it was a small amount I'd start with a letter of demand and if it was a large amount then I'd go straight to the police. Another contributor on here might have another suggestion though.

dcv

26 July 2015
it was a small amount. $370aud. can you please link me to a letter of demand? or do i need to type that myself? i havent reported to police because i just assumed they would say theres nothing they can do lol. im in adelaide. his in sydney

Michael T

9 April 2014
I agree with @Ivy. I suggest that you also report them to Gumtree. See this previous LawAnswers thread related to Gumtree: NSW - Gumtree - Get Back Deposit on Car? | LawAnswers.com.au

And yes, I would start with a letter of demand. See: Letter of Demand Template for Australia - Legal Documents - LawAnswers.com.au

Remember to keep on top of regularly following up this person using whatever methods of contact you have - such as sending the letter of demand to his Facebook and express post to his workplace.