QLD Body Corporate - How to Resolve Issue with Neighbour's Dog?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

whitecap24

17 October 2017
Hi,

The neighbour tenant has a dog that barks constantly as it is left outside during the day when the neighbour goes to work.

The neighbour is a tenant. I am owner. The residences are townhouses in a complex with a body corporate. We are not on good terms with the neighbour, talking with them is not possible, they have caused problems previously.

May I please ask opinions on the best action to take to resolve the noisy barking with the body corporate, real estate or city council? Which would be the most effective to resolve the issue with an outcome of either enforcing the dog be put indoors or removed?

Thank you in advance for any help.

DMLegal

28 May 2018
If you are aware of who the landlord is speak to them. Failing that I would contact the Council, however such a report is unlikely to remain anonymous. The Council will want recordings and probably a log of the barking (ridiculous but it's their rules). Go on your Council's website, it should explain how to lodge an application. If it doesn't, just tell me which Council it is and I will have a read of the by-laws.

whitecap24

17 October 2017
hi thankyou for your answer. yes we do know the real estate, how does one go about legal recourse with the real estate? the tenant lease would have mention in it - a duty to maintain peace and noise levels, can we legally act on that tenant contract?

yes will also follow up with body corporate and city council

thank you again

DMLegal

28 May 2018
You couldn't legally enforce the real estate to take any action, however often they will act upon being notified of such issues. Also, if you advise them you will be contacting the Council, who will in-turn likely contact the Landlord (their client), they might be spurred on to take action. If it were me, I would go with the Council, you run the risk of dealing with an inexperienced property manager who will probably be too frightened to confront the tenants (particularly if they are not very approachable as you stated). Good luck with it all