QLD BFA to release names from mortgage without refinancing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sewing1979

21 March 2020
Greetings. I have found similar topics but no conclusive recommendations on my matter so I seeking advice. My situation is...

My Ex Defacto and i separated over 3 years ago. There are two properties still held in joint names. 1 block of land and 1 house which is now rented but it does not cover the mortage. I pay 100% of the loans as she has zero earning capacity through due to a combination of mental and physical constraints. Both properties have negative equity as I was caught on the wrong side of declining market post an oil & gas construction boom.

Given there is no equity and I have no capital to facilitate any refinancing of the properties, I am stuck with servicing the loans myself. I was of the belief that this was the only was to release her from the mortgage.

I then received some legal advice, suggesting that a BFA might help. The original intent was to simply use the BFA to protect my future stake in the assets and stop her from claiming a % 20 years down the track. My lawyer then went on to say some banks (westpac and anz) have on occasion, released parties from a mortgage using the BFA without the need for refinancing. That would be the best outcome for our situation and something she would agree too.

I suppose my question is, does anyone have experience with a similar matter. I bank with CBA and have not yet been able to clarify their ability to do same.

Many thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'd have thought the problem isn't with the banks.... You have a loan contract with them.... The ex's name is on the deed / the title of the property. So hypothetically, you spend the next 20 yrs paying off the debt. Debt paid - SWEET. So CBA have no interest in what you do next...

You then try and sell the house / or the block - You'll need the ex's approval to sell as she is on the title and let's assume when they sell they make a profit. She can refuse to have the funds released to you... So they sit in the conveyors account until you come to an agreement.

Easy solution - sell them. Suffer a loss now as it will likely be a smaller loss than paying the bills for years, plus interest plus plus plus only to sell them and have legal arguments about who should get what

sammy01

27 September 2015
oops sorry. I'm gonna change my advice after re-reading your first post. If she signs a BFA that states any equity in the properties is yours then I'd reckon that is sweet.

sewing1979

21 March 2020
I just spoke with CBA and they suggest a refinance has to be undertaken regardless of BFA or even a court order - stating that it is governed by regulation. Can anyone speak to that?

I appreciate that many people who are looking to remove a party from a mortgage may have equity or other capital to assist in facilitating in any refinance process. I do not, as the the properties hold negative equity.

Am I stuck between a rock and a hard place? I could spend significant $ on proceeding with a court order but if the bank still needs to refinance, it could be futile

Perhaps the only option is to keep mortgages and attempt to a BFA to protect my % equity

Thoughts anyone?

Atticus

6 February 2019
I just spoke with CBA and they suggest a refinance has to be undertaken regardless of BFA or even a court order - stating that it is governed by regulation. Can anyone speak to that?
Yep... Fairly strict lending criteria these days.. They must be satisfied that you can service a loan... That may have just become even more difficult now if your income is affected by Bio security controls.
Given there is no equity and I have no capital to facilitate any refinancing of the properties, I am stuck with servicing the loans myself
Can only suggest that you talk to the bank about having the loan repayments suspended... I seem to recall that is possible ATM (6 months) due to Bio measures & impact on peoples ability to service their mortgages... In the longer term. Inpossible to predict how the real estate market may look in 12 mths...

AnahiGood

15 November 2023
The thread is from three years ago, but the issue you're facing with joint properties and mortgages can still be relevant today. It's essential to seek up-to-date legal and financial advice to address your specific situation.Given the complexity of your case, consulting with a legal expert or a Mortgage Advisor Nottingham in your area would still be a wise move. They can provide you with current guidance and assist you in finding the best solution for releasing your ex-defacto from the mortgage while safeguarding your interests.Time may have passed, but resolving such matters often requires professional assistance, so it's never too late to seek the right advice.