Being charged for shoplifting on bail now

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

waffle14

21 October 2018
Hi just wanted to know if I can still get a criminal record for stealing less than $100 of food...
I have a professional career, but I have an eating disorder and sorting help. I have been to court before and had 2 warnings and a diversion order. This is my 4th offence being caught . I am sincerely sorry for my actions and this time I'm serious about changing my behaviour. Should I get a lawyer? Is there any chance I can be let off again without a criminal offence ?

waffle14

21 October 2018
Hi just wanted to know if I can still get a criminal record for stealing less than $100 of food...
I have a professional career, but I have an eating disorder and sorting help. I have been to court before and had 2 warnings and a diversion order. This is my 4th offence being caught . I am sincerely sorry for my actions and this time I'm serious about changing my behaviour. Should I get a lawyer? Is there any chance I can be let off again without a criminal offence ?
Sorry meant to see criminal record at the end

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I think that you used all your warnings, you can get a lawyer but I don't know if that would help, if you have disorder and can prove it, it may help, it is a long shot, I can not give an opinion on it, all I can say is that there is a possibility and by what you wrote, I think you used all your warnings, now it's the serious talk!

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
If found guilty at court then a criminal record will follow. As you have been given a diversion then the options are narrowing so getting a lawyer advisable.

waffle14

21 October 2018
If found guilty at court then a criminal record will follow. As you have been given a diversion then the options are narrowing so getting a lawyer advisable.
How come the police didnt fine me? If I'm being charged can the judge in any way fine me instead of giving me a conviction/put in criminal record?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
How come the police didnt fine me? If I'm being charged can the judge in any way fine me instead of giving me a conviction/put in criminal record?

I think it is because you are going to court, from reading other posts here, police only fine if the matter will not be dealt in court, as you have used all the warnings, it seems you will be charged and found guilty, this is my opinion only and I am not a lawyer, As advised before by Tony and myself, you need a lawyer. I think you reached your end of all chances. You are going to have a criminal record. (just my opinion and I am not a lawyer, things may turn out differently but most likely not).

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
The Magistrate can fine you or put you on a bond both without conviction but he/she can't order that there ve no criminal record.