NSW AVO Being Contested - Do I Need a Lawyer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Maree Tucker

4 December 2014
Hi. I have taken out an AVO (restraining order). The woman who I took out the AVO against has contested it and played things down in her statements with a solicitor. She’s made me look like the defendant full of lies. I am a pensioner. Should I get a solicitor for the hearing?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depends on your budget and the level of fear you hold for your safety and unfortunately only you can answer that.

For an AVO it is quite acceptable for you to represent yourself and you just layout the facts and your fears as you know them to the magistrate. If you are nervous about what happens at court you can always go to the courthouse on any day and listen to other people's cases to see what happens. It is probably not as bad or as intimidating as you think :) Ring the court first to find out what day they list AVO cases, I think some courts set aside a special court room and specific days for AVOs.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
I agree with Rod. You can also contact your local community legal centre for some advice. Just present your facts (together with any supporting evidence) out as clearly as possible.