VIC AVO Against Me Does Not Apply if I'm Overseas?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sdowden

17 December 2015
Got a weird one.

A while ago, a crazy woman I once worked with and then stole a heap of my clients took out an AVO on me to have my media pass taken off me. While there was never any threats made against her (if she was a guy, we could have sorted it out in a boxing ring, though), I was giving it to her on social media and giving over proof that she was in fact in breach of her terms & conditions with the media passes.

Somehow, she got an AVO to be handed down, stopping me from publishing anything on the internet. I asked at my local court who said if I was interstate, it doesn't apply. I asked about being overseas and they said the same thing.

I went overseas and posted something (shared a post of someone giving it to her, quite funny really) Got back and was interviewed by police over it to which I said "I was overseas at the time".

The police said that it doesn't mean a thing.

Is this true under Criminal Law?

I have flight records, hotel invoices, photos all of me at the time overseas.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Are you asking if AVOs become null and void if you are not physically in the same state as the aggrieved party at the time that you harass them?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
My thoughts are that the AVO may not be enforceable by police of other states/countries, but if you've harassed the aggrieved from another location and then returned to the state in which the order was made, those state police can enforce the order on your return.