VIC Australian Law on Dressing Up as Superhero in Public?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Harleyjj2791

3 December 2016
Hi,

New to the thread, but just have a question about dressing up as Batman in Victoria.

I'm wondering what the Australian Law states in relation to this.

If I have a working with children check and a national police check, would I be allowed to wear a Batman costume with a mask around the street, etc?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

You might be fine in Victoria. I'm in WA and over here it is illegal to wear a mask to conceal your identity. However, while it was being discussed, I believe they fell back on the existing laws, specifically Summary Offences Act 1966 - Sect 49C. Under this legislation, it is only illegal to wear or carry a disguise (a costume) with illegal intent. So with regard to wearing the costume, don't have illegal intent.

The other side of this is, what do you intend to do in your Batman costume? If you are wearing it to have kids coming over to you in the street or whatever the reason, there should be a purpose. So while the wearing of a costume may not be illegal, whatever you intend on doing while wearing the costume may be.