QLD Australian Consumer Law - Used Car Failure After Two Days?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
9 April 2017
I just bought a used car, came with Roadworthy certificate, took it for a test drive and all seemed fine. 2 days later, I got an Electronic power steering fault. I had the car raised and looked over and on top of that the driveshaft seal is leaking.

I didn't pay for the $700 warranty they offered, but just seeing if I have any Australian Consumer Law rights due to failure after 2 days?

Regards

9 April 2017
Unfortunately for me, looks like that is only for cars under 160000 and under 10 years. Mine's at 120000 but over 10 years (2002).

From what I've read they've removed "class b" from which would have covered me

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Jamie,

That's the criteria for a statutory warranty not the consumer guarantees I was talking about. But you are right they removed the Class B type statutory warranty which was for a vehicle over 160000 and over 10 years of age to prevent the doubling up of rules between statutory warranties and consumer guarantees.

These links might clarify:
Consumer guarantees for products | Your rights, crime and the law | Queensland Government
Guarantees and warranties for used cars | Your rights, crime and the law | Queensland Government

9 April 2017
Ok thankyou. I have called the dealer about the problem but he had said it was all good when I took it from the yard. Said he wasn't obligated to do anything, but would pay for it to get checked on a scan tool.

What would you recommend I mention to the dealer to get the problem rectified? Consumer law? Lemon Law?

Want to make sure I have all my facts straight. Thanks for the link also

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Jamie,

They will try to tell you that this vehicle isn't covered by statutory warranties and they are right. You should say that you have guarantees under Australian Consumer Law(and read this first How we can help | Your rights, crime and the law | Queensland Government ) once you have read this you can say that the advice from the office of fair trading is to resolve this issue in person before lodging a formal complaint.

Lance

31 October 2015
No worries Jamie. I hope you get them to do the right thing.