QLD Australian Consumer Law - Car Bought from Car Yard Not Roadworthy

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

joshua cowan

31 December 2015
Hey, I bought a car today from a car yard on the Gold Coast, a xr6 turbo. The car was given to me with a roadworthy certificate but the car is not at roadworthy condition at all. Tyeares bald and was not running.

I took it to a local mechanic shop and they informed me the turbo was not correctly hooked up, and vacuum hoses weren't connected properly and were shut off with a clamp. The previous mechanic had forgotten to take off boost controller, was loose in engine bay.

The car was then road tested once all was properly connected and was still not performing as it should be. Also, the gearbox was not working. It was jumping in and out of gears and not changing as it should be.

What should I do to get the money back for the car and the process i need to take if they wont provide me with a refund under Australian Consumer Law?

I researched info on both the car yard and the roadworthy examiner, and they have both come back with bad reviews, dodgy and fraudulent along with being untrustworthy, and people having major problems with cars they have purchased from this dealer.

Thank you for your time.

S

Sophea

Hi Joshua,

The car you bought also needs to be ‘free from defects’. The car dealer needs to guarantee that the car has no faults when you bought it from them. I would get any evidence you can from the mechanic that serviced the car after you bought it to show that it wasn't roadworthy after you purchased it and go back to the dealer demanding a refund.

Check out these articles: Lemon Car? What You Can Do Under Australian Consumer Law - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au
Faulty Second Hand Car? Your Options as a Buyer - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

You can also contact the Department of Fair Trading Qld.