WA Australian Consumer Law - Ford Car Transmission Failed Too Soon?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tony Ryan

20 April 2016
Hi,

I purchased my new Ford Territory in December 2010 from Seaview Ford in Clarkson. Last weekend, the transmission failed and I was informed it needed replacing even though my car was only 64 months old.

I have my car serviced by Ford dealerships and not once was I told of any problems with my transmission. Surely a transmission on a 5-year-old car should last longer than this. It's only done 96500kms and is only driven locally by my wife.

I wouldn't have bought it if I thought the transmission would fail so soon. Where do I stand under Australian Consumer Law?

Thanks

S

Sophea

Hi Tony,

Check out this article on lemon cars: Lemon Car? What You Can Do Under Australian Consumer Law - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

However, while I can sympathise that transmission failing after 5 years is really frustrating, I'm not sure how far you would get trying to establish a major failure under Australian Consumer law given the time having transpired between sale and failure, unless your mechanic could point to some specific defect in the transmission which should not have been there and which caused the failure.