NSW At fault in car accident but other party's insurer is refusing to send photos/a description of their client's damages

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
7 March 2022
Hi guys, I'm asking for much needed advice regarding an accident I had on the 18th of February, I was at fault and I was third party insured and I was in the process of making a claim however as I said in the title, the other party's insurer isn't willing to send photos of their client's damages when I asked them via a phone call on the 19th, they said that my insurer doesn't need any photos and on the 20th when I asked for a description of the damages via a text message, they ignored my message and I have not been contacted since so it's been almost 3 weeks now and I'm not sure what to do since I need a description of the other party's car to move on with the claim and I'm stuck in limbo since I haven't been contacted or been sent a letter of demand, shouldn't I of been sent something by now?
I'm asking all of this since I can cancel my insurance policy by the 11th and receive a refund of $800 since I opened up my insurance policy recently and am still in the window of cancelling and receiving a refund as long as I don't make any claims which I haven't, I've just started one but never submitted it, but I don't wanna cancel and get screwed over if they send a letter of demand later on, and I'm not even sure if it's their insurer that contacted me, I searched up their number and it seems they're a debt collection company, but I've heard that insurance companies contract debt collecting to debt collection companies. Lastly, my insurer called me a few days ago but I wasn't able to pick up but I know it's about my claim since they mentioned something about my "unfinished claim" in a voicemail so yeah I'm not sure what to do, any advice would be appreciated.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Do you have Third Party Property insurance, or just a Green Slip?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

Docupedia

7 October 2020
To assist, because a lot of people do not realise this: There is a difference between 'third party insurance' and 'third party property damage insurance'.

Third party covers you for injury to a person. This is what would be covered on a green slip, and is a common requirement/component of vehicle registration. This will not cover you for damaging someone else's property (e.g. car).
Third party property damage covers you for damage to objects (i.e. property). It is additional insurance you have to take out yourself.

Every driver should understand this, it would save a lot of misunderstandings.