NSW Are Before/After School Centre Policies Legally Binding

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vesna

4 July 2019
Hi,
I am having an issue with a Before/After School Center that will not compromise on a Policy.

I have written authorisation to allow my YR6 daughter to go to the centre on her own in the morning and have the On Duty Supervisor sign her in. This authorisation meets the regulation of ACECQA (the governing body for these centres). When the children arrive alone in the after noon as most older children will walk to the centre after class, the staff sign the children in.

The Centre will not budge on their policy that a Parent must sign in the child.

What legal stance do I have or not have.

Many thanks
Vesna

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
If it’s their stated policy, and they’re applying it consistently, then it’s probably their call - assuming there’s nothing in the ACEQCA policies that prohibits it. The ACEQCA documents are rather voluminous, so there could be. It might be worth contacting them for assistance.

I’d ask to see the Centre’s policy to check what it actually says, and then see whether they are applying it properly. If they aren’t there may be an angle to argue.