Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Apprehended Domestic Violence Order Resulting in Lost Income - Sue Ex?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Peter Ando, 20 May 2016.

1. Peter Ando

Peter Ando Member

Hi guys,

Can I sue for lost income if my spouse has taken out an Apprehended Domestic Violence Order (ADVO)?.

I need my firearms licence for work as I work for a Cash In Transit company. Prior to my separation, there were no claims of assault, no visits from the police. Nothing. After my wife left, I asked her to come to a psychologist meeting, whereupon I made the statement "What do you want me to do? Go to work and top myself?"

I'm a very silly boy because that statement has cost me my kids and $100,000.

The remarks about topping myself are the only evidence against me. Quite a doozy, though!. The ADVO was contested in court and lifted. In doing so I was required to make an "undertaking" that I still wouldn't approach wife and kids, etc, etc, etc.

Is it possible to sue for lost income if I can satisfy the court that the ADVO was vexatious and malicious in nature? i.e. she didn't really fear for her safety because the ADVO was taken out 2 days after the psychologist appointment?

What sort of fees am I looking at? Will this be heard in front of a magistrate or jury?

Regards,

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

The best you can get is your lawyer fees paid by your ex, but you can't sue for damages for income lost as a result of the AVO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Sue for lost income, because, by your own admission,
    you made a foolish statement, that you knew, or reasonably should have known,
    would raise concerns about your mental health,
    and therefore bring into question your suitability to hold a firearms licence?

Not a chance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sammy01

sammy01 Well-Known Member

Ok, so you didn't even threaten her? You threatened your own life?

Yup - I understand your thinking, but you've got no chance. Mate, you're lucky the courts dropped the thing, so you can still work.