- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

SA Am I Able to Dispute Speeding Fines?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by GGCunningham, 25 July 2016.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. GGCunningham

GGCunningham Member

25 July 2016

I received a speeding fine on the Princes Highway, Crafers West.

There was a variable speed limit of 40km/h due to roadworks, which I slowed down for (in fact, we slowed to about 25km/h due to thick traffic).

Once well past the roadworks, 400 metres/ish, I sped up (as were all the other cars) but at 500 metres past the roadworks, I was pinged, doing 77km/h (I was heading up to the normal speed limit of 90km/h). A further 400 metres on from that was a 90km/h sign.

I know that I was in the wrong, however, I see this as incredibly unfair given the roadworks were almost 1km behind me and clearly, there were no further roadworks ahead, so I assumed (should never assume) that once we were through, we were good to go (like most roadworks!). I was horribly wrong and have a $941 bill to pay plus lose 7 demerit points!

I know that I would not be the only one who was caught out here, as there were plenty of cars doing exactly the same as me!

I also have one other car in one of the photos (it is a fair way back) so wondered if I am able to dispute speeding fines.

Any help would be sensational.

Thank you.
  2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

16 April 2014
    Generally law is law on these things, and reasonableness of the law is not valid basis for breaking it.

I don't know about SA but some states will waive a fine if you have had a good history for 5-10 years?
  3. AlphaR1

AlphaR1 Active Member

2 August 2016
    Elect to have the matter heard at court and choose to plead guilty with an explanation, the explanation being that which you have outlined here. If you have a good traffic history, print this out and show it to the court.

It is probable at the very least that you will get a substantial reduction in penalty and/or demerit point loss.