VIC Acknowledgement service form not returned

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ozboy2010

2 November 2020
Hi all,
I started an application for Parenting Orders (interim & final) with the Federal Circuit Court.
I served my ex's lawyer with a copy of the application and an acknowledgement service form. The lawyer previously indicated that she would accept service on my ex's behalf.
It has been a week since I sent the docs and I have not heard anything back. When should they be sending the form back?
In case I do not hear back from them at all, am I supposed to file an 'Affidavit of Service'?
Thank you!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
File your affidavit of service regardless of when they send the form back.

And after 2 weeks send reminders every 2 or 3 days about the acknowledgement service form.

CSFLW

24 September 2018
How did you send the application to the lawyers? Email?
If the lawyers confirmed they have instructions to accept service, but have not signed the acknowledgment of service, then you need to write to them again asking them to sign acknowledgment of service.
If they do not sign the acknowledgement of service, you will have to serve the ex by personal service.
You cannot file an affidavit of service if you do not serve personally.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
The affidavit can be filed if the lawyers have said they'll accept service. Provide that as evidence with the email serving the papers.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
My mistake, I was thinking of the deeming provisions in the ELECTRONIC TRANSACTIONS ACT 1999 (Cth).

r.6.06(2)(c) - lawyer accepts service, but agree lawyer needs to file an address of service to be valid.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Umm, I was mentioning FCCA R.6.06(2)(c). Sort of on point. *notes his post can be interpreted two ways.