WA Access to a river setting.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GeorgeK

6 January 2024
Hi, I live in a van park where there are 200 permanent residents all blocks in the park have individual titles, as such each has to pay the appropriate rates as any household would.

The van estate is regarded a private, we pay strata fees each quarter.

There are many issues involved and it is a mess to say the least. However one issue that has become apparent is the following. There is access to a nice river setting through our park and it has been open for many years. The park I believe was established over 30 years ago.

There are a few on the body corporate that wish to close off the access and are using bullying tactics on the older community members in order to get their way, and have that access closed.

Years ago in Tasmania a similar thing occurred and a gate was closed, thus closing access to a beach through the said property. This access had been there for more than seven years,

The legal situation in the end was that the gate had to be re opened and the land owner could close the gate for one day per year but people still had access for the rest of the year. I would like to know if we still have that right here in Western Australia or is it that the Body corporate can just put a gate in and close off access to our beautiful river.