Right of Carriage

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
11 May 2021
Hi, my husband and I own 110 acres on the mid north coast. A large holding was divided into 6 lots and each was sold separately. To gain access to our block we are required to use a road that passes through three of the other blocks using a "right of carriage". The neighbour that is the last owner now wants to fence his place so he can run cattle. In order to do this he is building a barbed wire fence that will be 2m high in some sections - he is also wanting to put a "queensland" gate over our only access. The position of the gate in on a sloping part of the "right of carriage" and will be quite dangerous to open/close in either the dry or wet. My questions are: a) can he put a gate across a "right of carriage" that is the only way in or out of our property and b) do we have the right to put a cattle grid in instead of the "queensland" gate he is going to put in. Side note - he is paying for all of the fence as we asked for some changes that he wasn't happy with so said he would just pay for the lot. Last question who is required to maintain the "right of carriage" - I've looked at our paperwork from when we bought the land (nearly 20 years ago) and it doesn't state anything. thanks in advance