Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Abandoned Property - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Anna Bean, 3 August 2015.

  1. Anna Bean

    Anna Bean Member

    3 August 2015
    Likes Received:
    Over a year ago I let a (then) friend store some goods (equipment from the cafe he close down) in my shed to save him from paying storage elsewhere. We have since fallen out and he owes me money (which I am pursuing through the Small Claims Tribunal) and I want his stuff gone from my property, as I need the shed space now.

    What is the correct procedure to get the abandoned property removed? He does not respond to texts or calls. Should I send a letter via registered mail, giving him a certain amount of time to remove his property? And saying that if he does not remove his things they will be disposed of and I will sue him to recover costs?

    The goods are not worth much as they are things like old microwaves, plates and glasses and I don't want the hassle of selling them. Would it be legal to just advertise them free on Gumtree or ebay to anyone who wants them, after giving the owner adequate warning? What to do?

    Thank you.
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi Anna,

    Unless the owner of the stored items is or was a tenant in your home, the above course of action that you have identified appears to be reasonable. Apart from rights of tenants who leave property in a rental after the end of a lease, I don't know of any specific laws which would prohibit this course of action: i.e. giving notice in writing and a reasonable period of time for him to take the items and then disposing of them. Just ensure that he receives a copy of the notice and keep a copy for your own records too.

Share This Page