17 Year old - Cafe trial shift then additional shifts then no job and no payment for work done

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JohnnoP

8 July 2020
17 year old daughter was invited to attend a cafe for a trial shift as waitress/kitchen hand. Trials usually go for an hour or two - but this one ended up going 10am to 3.30pm. (She just kept working - didn't question whether she was now employed or what)

She was asked to come back the following weekend and worked 9am to 3.30pm both Saturday and Sunday.

Now, a week later, there is no indication she is getting any more shifts - (cafe's choice) but also no indication she is going to be paid for the work she has done.

I'm about to call the owner or pay him a visit and demand payment for daughter's time. However would be interested in the legal perspective and options before I do so.

Daughter just trying to earn herself some pocket money and its disgraceful how she has been treated by the cafe industry.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Before you start, have a read of this.

JohnnoP

8 July 2020
Thanks for quick reply Tim. From that, it seems clear to me that the employer is acting unlawfully. So I presume I will need to take it up with Fairwork if the employer does not make payment as I will be requesting (which I will do both verbally and in writing - setting out the dates/times and hours).

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Choose your language, tone, and actions, carefully.
Last thing you need is to be groundlessly accused of making threats.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Put it in writing first, then go see the owner. Then take notes of the mtg if the owner does not pay.