Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Would I Need a Permit under Commercial Law?

Discussion in 'Commercial Law Forum' started by Limberfish123, 12 October 2015.

1. Limberfish123

Limberfish123 Member

Hi! I make candles and sell them online. I would like to follow other companies who sell candles which have a random prize in the bottom of the candle worth different money amounts. If I offered prizes or money in the bottom of candles, would I need a permit under Commercial Law as this is a business not a charity, I'm in qld, thanks!!

2. AnnaLJ

AnnaLJ Well-Known Member

Hi Limberfish

If there is a game of chance involved in winning a prize (ie as opposed to it being a game of skill), then you should check the QLD Government website to confirm if a licence will be required. (Competitions, raffles, bingo and other charitable games | Queensland Government

I'm not sure of the specifics of how your competition would work, but you may want to consider if it would be classified as a 'Lucky Envelope' competition (more info on this is provided in the link pasted above):

Lucky envelopes
    • Lucky envelopes are a type of pre-determined lottery. They are sold as 'break-open' type tickets where the correct combination of numbers/letters/pictures on the tickets produces a winner
    • Lucky envelopes can be conducted by an eligible association
    • An eligible association must not sell lucky envelopes unless the envelopes have been printed under a licence
    • Requires a lucky envelopes printer's licence

Either way, it will be very important for you to have a clear set of Terms & Conditions for the competition displayed on your website or otherwise communicated to your customer so that there isn't a risk of you being misleading and deceptive under the Australian Consumer Law or otherwise giving rise to a claim from a customer.

You should consider getting legal advice to help with drafting these terms and conditions or, at the very least, study the T&Cs of other similar competitions to make sure yours comply.

Best of luck.