NSW Commercial Law - Permits for Armour, Swords and Knives Shop?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MadMike

24 April 2017
Hello,

If a shop sells swords, knives and steel re-enactment armour, what permits might they need to make it legal? Same for a online shop, what might they need?

Also what might be the costs for getting the permits or any other legal costs that might come up under Commercial Law?

Thanks,

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Michael,

You don't need a permit to buy a knife, sword or armour, so I' wouldn't have thought you need a permit or licence to sell them. Firearms are obviously different.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Hi Michael,
You don't need a permit to buy a knife, sword or armour, so I' wouldn't have thought you need a permit or licence to sell them. Firearms are obviously different.
You do need a permit to purchase armour; I also believe swords fall in the same category. Similarly a permit is required to sell - This will differ from state to state.

To the Original Poster - I suggest you contact NSW Police Licensing Services division, in addition to permits to sell, you'll need to ensure that you have storage sorted so that the items in question are stored and housed in a secure manner; in the way that the Act provides.

Lance

31 October 2015
To qualify my statements it depends on the armour. Collectible armour, as in the type used for medieval reenactments I have seen and purchased in various states around Australia, although not in the past few years. Likewise I have purchased swords for many years in various states without any need of a permit. Tactical body armour is a very different and I didnt think it could be purchased outside of law enforcement and defence industries.