Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

harassed

21 November 2014
I work in QLD, for a small business. In the office is me, another office clerk and the boss, who is also the Managing Director. I have been employed for 10 months (1 year in Feb 2015). In the beginning things were going well as we were planning to buy the business. We then decided against it and since then he has been making my life hell. We all think he may have early onset dementia as well - I have spoken to his wife about this but she cannot do anything as he is very assertive and bossy. At work he has done the following to me:

Workplace bullying. Called me a liar and accused me of things in front of other staff - later he found out he was wrong. He is always nasty and abrupt with me. On the 2-way radio he is very nasty to everyone. When I was sick for 3 days, he changed the passwords on the internet banking and MYOB, saying the bank told him to when in reality, it was because he thought I was logging in from home (which I wasn't).

I'm over his treatment of me. But if I were to give him a week's notice, that last week would be absolute hell. Even the doctor said I was under a lot of stress. If I was just to leave with no notice, can he sue me under employment law as I am the only one who does the accounts? What are my options? Going to work everyday is getting harder and harder.

I forgot to add: I was pressured into signing the employment contract. Boss said...here I need this signed by today. Contract says I can do extra reasonable hours when required to do so, so sometimes I work on the weekend, with no extra time off and no extra pay cause I'm on a salary. I have the phones at home some nights with no extra time off. He gets angry and hangs up on me if I say I've got plans and can't take the phones or work. I'm usually given no notice or just the night before at most. He says I must keep a time sheet. I put the hours down I started and finished....he told me to change it to reflect my contracted start and finish times.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Harassed,

This is a terrible ordeal. Have you tried speaking with the Fair Work Ombudsman about this matter? It sounds like you may have quite a few complaints against the employer (e.g. harassment, pressured into entering into an employment agreement..)

Are you seeking to leave the employment?

harassed

21 November 2014
Yes I definitely want to leave. I know legally I need to give one weeks notice, but that one week will be hell and he will make my life miserable. I know I probably have a case with Fairwork, but that would make things worse. My boss is a control freak who believes he can treat staff how he wants cause it's HIS business. There are also a few illegal things he is making me do which I don't like such as paying staff cash in hand, not paying payg tax for an employee that has never paid tax himself either. Making me reimburse him for things which are not business related.
When another staff member and I are chatting he demands to know what it is about as he is paranoid it's about the business.

I'm just over the whole thing....honestly, I just don't want to turn up anymore, but I'm concerned about the repercussions.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You may find that once you give notice, a 'I don't give a damn any more' factor may appear in your thinking and your frustrations and stress will significantly reduce.

One approach is to just do your job and if the boss gives you grief tell him to suck it up because you don't have to take his nonsense and that he can sack you on the spot if he wants. You'll find he'll either back off because he needs you, or he will sack you and you then get what you want.

BTW, I wouldn't normally recommend the above approach if you needed your job :)

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
I agree with Rod. Give the 1 week notice. You may find he'll stop harassing you, or at least reduce it, given you are leaving soon. I would speak with Fair Work Ombudsman in any event, even if you do not want to lodge a complaint yet. They will have advice as to your options and may reassure you that things won't turn out as bad as they seem in your head. If your employer is evading tax and not paying PAYG then you can also lodge a complaint with the ATO and they'll enter into an investigation into the firm. You can use this as a bargaining chip to get your employer off your back.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depends. Do you want to be paid for that week? If not, give notice then do not turn up to work.