NSW Working for one of the big banks - Area manager blocked transfer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Trence

21 April 2017
I work for one of the big four banks at branch level. Recently, I applied for the same job I am currently doing at a different (and larger) branch. The manager at the new branch was happy with my reference check from my current branch manager and verbally told me I was getting the job. Today, the area manager in my current area called the area manager in the new area and they agreed to block the transfer (they don't seem to want to lose me). Is this legal for them to do? Do I have any rights in this situation?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,
It could be argued that they may have done what is in the best interests of the business. While terribly unfair I'm not convinced that it was done in a vindictive way to punish you. Its probably worth a sit down / telecom with the two branch managers to work through it. They obviously value you and wouldn't want to loose you so I have a feeling that you hold the upper hand.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree with Lance. I don't see a cause of action. Being assertive, but not aggressive, may work to your advantage.

One tactic to try is to have them agree to the transfer but 'loan' you back to the other branch for say 3 or 6 months giving the losing manager time to get a replacement. This is better than having them agree to do the transfer in 6 months time as things can change and you won't have an approved transfer in place.

Reactions: Lance