QLD Will I be Liable for Personal Injury?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kenco

26 June 2016
I have recently purchased a rural block of land in Queensland and have been asked by a neighbour if they could ride their horses on it. If I allowed them to ride, would I be liable for any personal injury which may occur to either rider or horse whilst on my property through an accident.

Louise4007

8 November 2015
SA
Hi Kenco

You would be wise to take out public liability insurance over the land to cover any accident, harm or damage to persons or property that might occur. As a landowner you automatically have, under common law, a duty of care to prevent harm or damage from occurring to people or property on your land. If an accident on your land results in harm or damage to a person or their property you could be sued. Insurance would cover this depending on the type & level of cover you have. If you are uninsured the incident may result in litigation against yourself which if successful,could compel you to 'pay up' from your own funds or assets.

Its' wise to insure.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can also ask them to inspect your land and give you a confirmation they have done so and are happy to ride their horses on it, and that they waiver their rights against you in the event of an accident while on your land. A waiver won't provide 100% protection for you but it helps, as does a prior inspection. You should also take out public liability insurance if you don't already have it on an existing policy.