NSW Will Ex Get in Trouble for False Domestic Violence Charge?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Danziggy77

30 August 2016
My ex-wife recently had me charged for domestic violence and common assault. She said I grabbed her arm. She went to toilet pinched her arm and took a photo during a heated argument where I swore at her and threw some of her clothes out the door.

If I plead not guilty and at the hearing and she confesses she made it up because I threatened to go for full custody of my son, will she get it any trouble?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Possibly, depends on the attitude of the police and prosecutor.

Can't say what will happen in individual cases.

It would be better for you to get off your charges, and then see if the police do anything about your ex rather than have your ex testify in court you did it and hope you are found innocent.

Danziggy77

30 August 2016
My ex-wife recently had me charged with common assault domestic violence. She said I grabbed her arm but I didn't. She went to bathroom and pinched it herself and took a photo to get me in trouble, cause I was threatening full custody of our son.

Thing is, now she realizes if I get a conviction, I could lose my job.

She wants to go to court and tell the truth about what happened. I asked a lawyer about this and what would happen if she did that. Would she go to jail? My lawyer said no because it's different from making a statement and then recanting as it's in court and is a totally different thing.

Basically if she says I did it in court and then says I didn't, she will get in trouble, but if she just goes in there and says she did it, she won't get in any trouble is this true?