VIC will dispute

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Of course.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Depends what you mean by "contesting" ?

chris artufel

25 January 2021
The family member is contesting our mothers will. They have made unsubstantiated claims for a larger portion. The claims are outrageous and totally untrue. We have evidence of this and I want to know if they need to prove their claim with evidence.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Well, yes, they do need evidence.
That's what I meant by
"Of course"

Anthony23

5 January 2018
Yes, contesting a will needs evidence. This article Challenging and Contesting a Will: What is the difference? | ORG Lawyers may help you.
Chris, yes I agree you do need evidence . Having that being said, I as an executor for my parents , have just been thru a part 4 claim, and that person claimed a lot of things and medical issues. Went to the Supreme Court and was thrown out, there is no law that siblings need to be treated equally. That being said the stress to me and my family was immense. The estate took a $250k hit... my sibling is no longer part of the family , just because they thought it was there right... not sure I have helped, but just letting you know if a will is contested by a sibling, it’s a long road. So yes try and sort out first before lawyers get involved. Cheers Wayne