QLD Who pays for what?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cameron1977

14 January 2019
hi, really just interested in everyone's opinion & thoughts on this one. i don't think there is a right or wrong answer. i asked service got different answers,

situation:
  • share care 50%.
  • parenting plan in place (doesn't mention financials) - no court orders.
  • go through child support services to work out payments.
  • child is 5.
  • starts school this year in brisbane
  • father pays mother approx. $700 a month
  • mother doesn't work supported by partner - or when she does choose to, does a casual hours (tells child support she doesn't and said she will let the tax return sort it out - that's another thread :()
child support tells me that the money provided is to pay for the child's living arrangements, housing, transport and food while in her care....nothing else.

what about medical, sport, school (public) fees, books, uniforms etc?

to date I've been paying half of everything just because previously i wasn't paying anywhere near as much, however given the amount I'm paying now, should I be?

Atticus

6 February 2019
child support tells me that the money provided is to pay for the child's living arrangements, housing, transport and food while in her care....nothing else.
Strictly speaking there is nothing in the assessment act that says that ... A normal CS assessment is to cover QUOTE 'The ordinary costs incurred in raising a child '
So does education, medical uniforms etc costs that one should expect are 'normal' costs incurred in raising a child? ... I would have thought so ... The act also provides for a parent to seek a change of assessment IF they believe the costs are higher than 'normal' ... Problem you may have though is that by virtue of you having already contributed to those things for some time, it could be argued that there has been an acceptance by both of you to do so & that it should continue.

So 'should' you pay? ... If your kids are benefiting & you can afford it, probably maybe .. If the payee is one of those that clothes the kids in hand me downs while going on nice holidays etc (you get my drift) maybe just pay whatever your assessed amount is ... if she was 100% legit, maybe she should be declaring all her income so it's a fair assessment.

Last edited:

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yup - same as my answer from 2019...
Totally agree.
But... Do u have court orders stipulating 50\50 care? If not then paying a bit extra might be a good idea. Why? Well if u don't she might change the access and without court orders she can. Cheaper and easier to pay a bit more to avoid getting solicitors involved...
But legally child support is determined by csa that is the extent of your financial responsibility.

My advice? Keep paying for another year. Then reconsider. You have done well to get 50\50 of a child that young. Maybe sucking it up for the minute is a good strategy.