VIC Who is liable??

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
24 January 2021
Our tenants have just had their most recent inspection, to which we notice the pool side has significant damage. I rang the property manager immediately after sighting the report to discuss. After a lengthy chat and her review of previous reports, it appears that this damage was done between the previous tenants exit photos and the current tenants entry photos. Previous tenants moved out after breaking lease and had their bond returned, based on the photos sent to us. There is a two day difference between the exit and entry photos. The pool is a permanent above ground, built in decking etc. however is not included as a usable feature of the lease. It is possible that the dent could simply be pressed out however we don't know the extent of the damage close up. Pressing it out may cause the sides to split (being that it is aluminium walled).

Who is liable for this repair?
The previous tenant because their lease technically didn't end until the day before the current tenant moved in?
The real estate because they have the responsibility of keeping our property secure?
Us as landlords?

I've not yet contacted our insurance as I wanted a better idea of where the liability falls. Unfortunately we are unable to attend the property ourselves to assess, as we live 1500km away.