QLD When Do Rumours Become Defamation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tom Rogers

11 August 2014
A police officer made an unsubstantiated allegation to a proposed witness. The CMC in qld are refusing to investigate it claiming it is before the court. Are there any laws that stop me from 'making up' allegations against the police officer as they have done?
Is there a line I shouldn't cross? I have been made aware of a rumour of an affair the police officers wife had with a married man? Can I approach witnesses & tell them about this or anything else I want to make up? Am I allowed to make up whatever I like?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Tom,

How is bringing up the fact that the police officer has been unfaithful to his wife relevant to your case? Further, I would not recommend making up rumours about anyone. This, if later shown to be unsubstantiated, could backfire and go against your own credibility as a witness/defendant.

Tom Rogers

11 August 2014
Thanks Sarah J, your advice has helped me immensley! :)
Without it I would have done something very dumb by now (not just one dumb thing either!)
Again i can't thank you enough for being the voice of reason & intelligence.

Reactions: Sarah J