What to Do When Parents Have Disagreements Regarding School?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Shan_90

5 February 2016
Also, would my ex-partner be able to enrol my son in to a school that I haven't signed an enrolment form for?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
That's correct, but if he enrols him in Suburb B instead of Suburb A in accordance with the orders, then there may be grounds for a contravention order.

Shan_90

5 February 2016
Okay, so my ex-partner has agreed on one of the schools in Suburb A, but I am not happy with what that school has to offer and would like to enrol him at another school in suburb A which I believe is a better school for our son's needs. What do I do now? We cannot agree on a school in suburb A.

Do I just agree with my ex on a school he thinks is suitable just so we can get my son enroled as time is running short and my son needs to be enroled? He will not agree with me on the school of my choice even though I have stated why this school is more beneficial than the other school he believes is more beneficial.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Look at this in perspective.

What's going to have the worst impact on your child?

No enrolment, no education and a risk of more court proceedings and more conflict between his parents?

Or enrolment and education at a school that might not be your preference, but ensures there's no conflict and no more court proceedings for you, the child or the father?

I would suggest agreeing, conditional on agreement that if the child struggles at the school, then you both re-visit the matter after he's been there for a year or two.